I decided to begin with the skin, using my new Da Vinci Maestro “Miniaturist” brush, size 2, that I just ordered from DickBlick.com (see my earlier blog entry about that).
I base coated the skin with a layer of Reaper MSP Sandy Tan, mixed with white.
My second layer was a very, very thin teal that I mixed myself from Reaper MSP Clear Blue and some GW yellow paint I need to use up. I applied this in the shadow areas of the skin.
For the third step, I applied more shading using very thin Reaper MSP Sandy Brown, and went back and forth with that and white, to retouch any highlights that got pulled down too dark with the teal and brown.
I still have several layers to go, which will move the skin tone closer towards red, but this is my starting point.