Following on to my previous post, it’s been a long-term project of mine to paint up a series of Saint miniatures. To facilitate this, I look for miniatures that can be easily converted to Catholic Saints. Reaper has a nice set of them:
- Saint Joan of Arc (Lady Jehanne, Mounted Crusader)
- Saint Bridget of Sweden (Reaper Selene the Unbroken)
- Saint Nicholas (Reaper Brother Louis IV First Chronicler)
- Saint Michael the Archangel (Reaper Achiah, Male Angel, with T’Quan, Skoli Warrior as the devil at his feet)
- The Holy Family (Reaper’s Nativity)
All but one of these is sculpted by Sandra Garrity. The exception is Lady Jehanne by Bobby Jackson.
Here is a page of Symbols of the Saints in Art. I’m sure there are more minis that fit, or can be converted, to Saints. There are some pretty lively little scenes depicted there, that would make great minis for any fantasy painter/collector. For instance, Margaret of Antioch is described thusly: “a shepherdess carrying a small cross or girdle in her hand, leading a chained dragon, standing next to a cauldron, large vessel, or beside a dead dragon.” Now, wouldn’t that make an awesome miniature?