Reptus Warlord WIP 2: Planning the Palette

Planning the palette for this figure was more challenging than I thought it would be. My client requested green scales with an orange frill on his head, and NMM armor like I painted for my Dark Sword Draconid.

Since there wasn’t much else on the mini than that, I thought the palette would proceed easily. But it has been my experience that miniatures I paint always look best when I plan the colors before I put brush to figure, so I brought the Reaper image into Photoshop, and painted on color with a partly-transparent brush.

Starting with the original request yielded this:

The blue steel armor and green scales are cool colors, and adding the warm orange made for a terrible clash. My first attempt at a fix was substituting violet for the orange:

My client didn’t like the scheme, though, and suggested red in place of orange. Red, of course, is still a warm color, so that wouldn’t solve the intrinsic problem. Then I had an idea. I took the armor layer in photoshop, and adjusted the hue from blue steel to bronze, and voila! Green can be either warm or cool, depending on the shade, so with bronze and red, now the palette was warm. My client loved it, and I have to say, I like it best of the three as well.

I am very much looking forward to painting the armor, since I’ve never done bronze before, and I love trying new techniques.